Cloudcroft, New Mexico
2013 Best Small Towns in America
Contest ends: September 3, 2013
695 Votes - "Most Beautiful"
22 Votes - "Friendliest"
3 Votes - "Most Fun"
2 Votes - "Best for Geocaching"
1 Votes - "Most Patriotic"
1 Votes - "Best For Food"
At almost 9,000 feet of elevation, Cloudcroft boasts picturesque views and mild temperatures. Only 850 people occupy this small town, where one trip to the Western Bar will make any visitor feel at home. Start your visit on Burro Street, the town’s main street and commonplace, then make your way to Highway 82 to eat at a local dig.
A local landmark, The Lodge Resort provides a wide array of recreation options, including golf, biking, snowmobiling, hiking, snow tubing and cross country skiing. There’s also a spa, swimming pool and shopping on site. Visitors can additionally horseback ride, camp, ski, fish or hunt locally.
Kids will enjoy Zenith Park and the nearby Toy Train Depot, with model trains and a museum, while the whole family can take advantage of ice-skating at The Village, tennis at Frazer Courts, several hiking trails, and skiing at Ski Cloudcroft. Cloudcroft Light Opera Company offers entertainment beyond the karaoke at the Western.
Last, don’t miss the Sacramento Mountains Museum & Pioneer Village, where the story of the first settlers here and Cloudcroft’s development since are portrayed. View the village, exhibits, chapel and general store for a feel of the area’s past in the present. See what else Cloudcroft offers with these reviews!
- I love this town and all the beauty of each season it offers for all of us to enjoy!!! The people are outstanding and full of welcome and warmth to all that come and visit this unique little town in the mountains. A great place to come visit, relax and have fun with the great outdoor activities.
- on October 8, 2013
- A wonderful authentic Logger town, high up in the mountains. Wonderful people, a great community that pulls together through everything and is the most open minded community you can imagine. Cute shops and great restaurants ! So many things to do! Hiking and 4-wheeling throughout the year, horseback riding and during winter a true Winter-Wonderland! I always get my Christmas tree there in the remote canyons that belong to the Lincoln National Forest, that surrounds the charming little town.
- on September 3, 2013
- Cloudcroft's natural beauty is spectacular. It is like an oasis in the middle of a desert. 9000 feet above the desert allows for wonderfully cool alpine temperatures and brings relief to lots of flatlanders fleeing hot temperatures below. Mother earth has given us a great gift. Beautiful!
- on August 26, 2013
- I love Cloudcroft the view is really pretty and the people are very nice friendly
- on August 6, 2013
- I love my summers in Cloudcroft. There are wonderful stores, great places to eat, the people are friendly and I enjoy all of the art festivals. I always attend Mardi Gras in the Mountains in February. It is a very small town with lots to offer!!
- on August 1, 2013