Tybee Island, Georgia
2013 Best Small Towns in America
Contest ends: September 3, 2013
8 Votes - "Most Beautiful"
3 Votes - "Most Fun"
2 Votes - "Friendliest"
Known as Savannah’s beach, Tybee Island prides itself on a laid-back atmosphere claiming time actually slows down here. Besides plenty of shoreline, the town offers historic lighthouses and forts, beachfront restaurants, art galleries, museums, wildlife and outdoor recreation.
The Tybee Island Light Station and Museum boasts beautiful aerial views of the town after climbing 178 steps to the top and five centuries worth of history in the Battery Garland of Fort Screven, remnants of the Florida War. This attraction is a local landmark and a must-see on any visit.
From the Crab Shack to A-J’s and Fannies on the Beach, indulge in fresh seafood and good times with the local community. Stroll to the Pier & Pavilion for a picnic as well, where you can fish, catch local events and entertainment, or simply take in the view. Other attractions include Cockspur Lighthouse, Forts Pulaski and Screven, and the Marine Science Center.
For recreation, choose from hiking or biking, surfing or paddling, and jet skiing or kayaking. Families will love scenic boat tours for dolphin and wildlife viewing, in addition to bird watching or sea turtle patrols. The are also offers plenty of art, entertainment, shopping and nightlife. See Tybee Island’s reviews for more information.
- This is a beautiful place to enjoy a great time with friends. All the locals will make you feel as if you belong there. LOVE IT!
- on September 3, 2013
- Just got back from 7 days in Tybee. Waking up every morning and seeing the ocean make this town the most beautiful in my mind.
- on August 26, 2013
- I COULD LIVE THERE. THE BEACH IS WONDERFUL AND THE PEOPLE IN THIS SMALL TOWN ARE SO FRIENDLY!!!! LOVE IT!!!
- on August 1, 2013
- Tybee Island is the beautiful barrier island on the Georgia Coast. There are miles of beach; forts and museums and a great old lighthouse; endangered birds and other animal species; kayaks and bikes to rent (along with all kinds of hotels, motels, cottage and condo rentals too). Days on Tybee Island are as active, or lazy, as mood demands. Local galleries, shops and restaurants offer changes of pace and taste. And, of course, historic Savannah’s nearby.
- on September 17, 2012
- Part of the Golden Isles of Georgia full of southern hospitality.
- on July 9, 2012